Monday, March 2, 2009

Indian Head


I found it this morning while I was emptying my pockets... it looks like somebody gave it to me as change, and for sure it didn't pay attention to it! Well, following the Blue Book Handbook of U.S. Coins, it doesn't have a high value (it's worth $1.00), but as a coin collector, it has a higher value to me!

Today's joke:

An elderly american gentleman arrived in Paris by plane.
At the French customs desk, the man took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry-on bag.
- You have been to France before, monsieur? the customs officer asked, sarcastically.
The elderly gentleman admitted he had been to France previously.
- Then you should know enough to have your passport ready.
The american said:
- The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it!
- Impossible, you americans always have to show your passports on arrival in France!
The american senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look, then he quietly explained, "Well, when I came ashore on D Day in 1944 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find any Frenchmen to show it to!

24 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful coin! I have had people give me even strange coins from other countries as change!

    Another wonderful joke...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a large coin collection, with coins from over a 100 countries.
    Thanks for the comment, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful coin eddie ,i remember when i stop @ japan the lady give me there coins as a remebrance and i still keep it until now and its been 4 yrs ago already...anyway great joke ...*L*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comment, Minda! I started collecting coins back in 1990, when I came back from Bulgaria, I had some bulgarian change in my pocket, and I really liked the 1 stotinky coin (that would be the equivalent of one penny). Then started get more and more, from everywhere, including old coins. The oldest one is from 1812...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, very lucky... twice! Once for getting it, second for seeing it before using it in a store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I had that kind of coin too... it looks much better here, on your pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful image and nice joke!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a few of those copperhead pennies once, I guess it pays to check your change!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cool coins, great shot!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shot! the one thing the French keep forgetting is that if it weren't for us, they'd be speaking German

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, German is a nice language... LOOOL! Let's not exaggerate, first of all not whole France was occupied by Nazis, then Germany was already tired of war, especially with all the losses from East. And sooner or later the Red Army have had won the war, so there were more chances for France to speak Russian than German if the Americans weren't coming on D Day...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been lucky 1905, great find!
    Wonderful capture :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you Eddie as for it being a lucky get for you. It is rare in this era to stumble across coins like this anymore

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a few of these in my collection, but never got one as change! Lucky man....and it is worth 100 times its original face value!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You got a prize...I too would be happy to receive such an artifact. Nice macro.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great find, I once had an 1848 penny, it was the size of a silver dollar
    foolishly I lost it as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a couple from my mom still hanging out. And I would be jazzed to get one in change. Cool deal!

    LOL@ the joke!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice image and great joke.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful find and capture!

    ReplyDelete
  20. one very beautiful coin, used to be a big collector of coins as a kid, had many indian head pennies, some in bu condition, hard to believe to have a coin minted in the late 1800's and hardly ever touched by a human hand. great shot.. and thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post and joke!

    I had one of these once....

    ReplyDelete